Saturday, April 2, 2011

Run Forrest!

So this morning was my first 5k in 4 years. I woke up feeling pretty good, but a little nervous. It's only 3.2 miles...not a big deal. I made some coffee and used vanilla protein powder as my creamer. That was a worse idea than it sounds. I know, it sounds like a great idea. It's not.

The race was to help a family whose father and husband is battling stage IV esophageal cancer. According to the race website, the course was to be "flat and fast", and it was, which I was thankful for.

My goal was to finish the race in 23:30. I run around here at a 24:30 pace and my local route has a couple of killer hills. So I figured a flat course, with people pacing me, should be able to do it in a minute less time. I found what could turn into one of my favorite pastimes...watching people stretch before a race. We all looked ridiculous. It reminded me of Ben Still in the Disney cult classic, Heavyweights; "come here you devil log!"

So I stretched and ran the race. It was complete with cheerleaders and everything, and I even spilled Gatorade down my face halfway through! Well I ran the race in 22:45 which was a big surprise to me, but I am definitely pleased with the results.

I am looking forward to the next race that I run. I don't know when that will be but maybe I can do it in 22:44!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Good for you! I'm so proud of you!!

Kimberly Washer said...

Good job!!!

Jake Roberts said...

I've tried the protein powder creamer trick as well... very bad move, haha!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms