Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Run it off...

So I've been dealing with my first "running" injury. For the last 2 weeks I've been hobbled by painful shinsplints. I've been blaming my shoes and have decided that I need to get a new pair, but I've also been evaluating my running form. I think I may be a slight "stomper" and that could be leading to the issues as well.

Well tonight I was tired of and I just needed to run. I've spent a lot of time lately trying to learn to deal with my thoughts and emotions differently than I have in the past. Running is becoming a big part of that. I'm learning to think and process before I react. Reacting has never led me to a good place, so it's time to change.

On top of the shinsplints, I'm also very sore from a leg workout yesterday (and my attempt is not to complain here, but rather set a scene), but my run today was deliberate and slow. Without an iPod. Just an opportunity to think and allow my thoughts to process out.

Running can be sweet therapy!

What is your therapy? What do you do to think more clearly?

1 comments:

Amy Tilt said...

Running for me is a great time to blow off steam and prayer. Sometimes prayer is in the car or on my knees but ultimately it is talking to God and listening to what he has to say.( when I'm out of breath it is easier to listen than think of what to pray about..lol) When I got shinsplints I thought of slowing down or walking them out but found it best to run them through. Walking made it worse. Once I ran it out I felt tons better. My first 5k is at the end of April.
Amy

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms